Austin, Texas [June 3, 2020] (ORIGINAL: BUSINESS WIRE) – Phunware, Inc. (NASDAQ: PHUN) (the “Company”), a fully-integrated enterprise cloud platform for mobile that provides products, solutions, data and services for brands worldwide, announced today its plans to deploy Phunware’s Smart City solution on mobile for the city of Pasadena, Texas, to improve citizen engagement and address critical challenges due to the coronavirus pandemic (“COVID-19”). This is the Company’s first deployment of its Smart City solution since its original announcement on April 9, 2020.
The city of Pasadena is a vibrant community located just outside of Houston with a population of approximately 200,000. It has embraced modernization as it continues to attract new businesses and provide more amenities, but maintains its agricultural roots and commitment to personal connections. In fact, the Pasadena Volunteer Fire Department is the largest of all volunteer municipal fire departments in the United States. Having served over 30 years as a police officer for the Houston Police Department, Mayor Jeff Wagner understands how important it is to not only stay engaged with citizens and visitors, but also to leverage technology to better coordinate community resources.
The following is a statement from Mayor Wagner:
- My first priority is, and always has been, the safety of our citizens. Keeping residents informed during emergency situations is one of the most important aspects of my administration. A mobile application from a tech leader like Phunware will enable Pasadena residents to have critical information in the palm of their hands, 24/7. Whether it’s an alert related to the COVID-19 pandemic, a hurricane warning or chemical release information from our neighboring industrial district, Pasadena is a prime candidate for a mobile phone app with integrated solutions for our diverse population.
- Our research has shown that not every resident in Pasadena has a personal home computer or even access to broadcast or cable television. However, almost everyone has a mobile phone. While we offer free desktop computer services at our libraries and senior recreation center, having the opportunity to receive information directly to one’s smart phone is paramount in addressing all emergency alerts, including COVID-19 information.
- A community is only as strong as its relationships, and a mobile app like this is another way for our residents to interact with their municipal government. As the second largest city in Harris County, Pasadena covers nearly 50 square miles and has a population of almost 200,000. It’s more important than ever that we advance smart-city capabilities to dynamically keep our citizens and visitors informed and safe. I also welcome the opportunity to offer another platform for our residents to share their comments or concerns about city services.
An interview with Mayor Wagner on this engagement is scheduled for June 4 at 10:30am CT and will be made available here.
Phunware’s Multiscreen-as-a-Service (MaaS) Smart City solution can help city officials quickly identify, locate and engage employees, citizens, first-responders, volunteers and even local businesses. Cities can also link existing services and platforms where application program interfaces (APIs) are available, which help drive awareness and utilization of other key city resources, including parking management, maintenance requests and law enforcement broadcasts.
“City officials were struggling with engagement and emergency management even before the ongoing pandemic, and these important community needs will continue to evolve rolling forward,” said Randall Crowder, COO of Phunware. “We are honored to deploy our MaaS mobile platform in support of the city of Pasadena, so its forward-thinking leaders have the tools that they need in a mobile-first world to combat uncertainty, help people return to work and begin the process of healing.”
- Notify and route to designated healthcare and testing locations, essential businesses still open, donation sites, government services and community events by engaging users with contextual triggers, including location, mapping, navigation and time.
- Designate essential versus nonessential businesses and offer additional details, including operating hours, services provided and contact information, all while enabling citizens to discover and receive notifications about these points-of-interest in real-time based on their proximity and location.
- Track and prevent potentially harmful exposure by contact tracing and monitoring device locations, including both real-time and historical lookbacks.
- Manage and enforce social distancing and quarantine policies, including proactive and reactive messaging, reminders and notifications.
- Coordinate the sharing of information by neighborhood, community and region to ensure that the right citizens are given the right messaging specific to their specific situation and individual needs.
Click here to learn more about how Phunware facilitates city-wide digital transformation and can help local officials, residents and visitors not only during the ongoing pandemic, but also moving forward as cities usher in their new form of normal.
Safe Harbor Clause and Forward-Looking Statements
This press release includes forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this press release, including statements regarding our future results of operations and financial position, business strategy and plans, and our objectives for future operations, are forward-looking statements. The words “anticipate,” “believe,” “continue,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “expose,” “intend,” “may,” “might,” “opportunity,” “plan,” “possible,” “potential,” “predict,” “project,” “should,” “will,” “would” and similar expressions that convey uncertainty of future events or outcomes are intended to identify forward-looking statements, but the absence of these words does not mean that a statement is not forward-looking.
The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are based on our current expectations and beliefs concerning future developments and their potential effects on us. Future developments affecting us may not be those that we have anticipated. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties (some of which are beyond our control) and other assumptions that may cause actual results or performance to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, those factors described under the heading “Risk Factors” in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including our reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and other filings that we make with the SEC from time to time. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should any of our assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary in material respects from those projected in these forward-looking statements. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as may be required under applicable securities laws. These risks and others described under “Risk Factors” in our SEC filings may not be exhaustive.
By their nature, forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that may or may not occur in the future. We caution you that forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and that our actual results of operations, financial condition and liquidity, and developments in the industry in which we operate may differ materially from those made in or suggested by the forward-looking statements contained in this press release. In addition, even if our results or operations, financial condition and liquidity, and developments in the industry in which we operate are consistent with the forward-looking statements contained in this press release, those results or developments may not be indicative of results or developments in subsequent periods.
About Phunware, Inc.
Everything You Need to Succeed on Mobile — Transforming Digital Human Experience
Phunware, Inc. (NASDAQ: PHUN), is the pioneer of Multiscreen-as-a-Service (MaaS), an award-winning, fully integrated enterprise cloud platform for mobile that provides companies the products, solutions, data and services necessary to engage, manage and monetize their mobile application portfolios and audiences globally at scale. Phunware’s Software Development Kits (SDKs) include location-based services, mobile engagement, content management, messaging, advertising, loyalty (PhunCoin & Phun) and analytics, as well as a mobile application framework of pre-integrated iOS and Android software modules for building in-house or channel-based mobile application and vertical solutions. Phunware helps the world’s most respected brands create category-defining mobile experiences, with more than one billion active devices touching its platform each month. For more information about how Phunware is transforming the way consumers and brands interact with mobile in the virtual and physical worlds, visit https://www.phunware.com, https://www.phuncoin.com, https://www.phuntoken.com, and follow @phunware, @phuncoin and @phuntoken on all social media platforms.