Austin, Texas [August 14, 2020] (ORIGINAL: BUSINESS WIRE) – Phunware, Inc. (NASDAQ: PHUN) (the “Company”), a fully-integrated enterprise cloud platform mobile that provides products, solutions, data and services for brands worldwide, today announced financial results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2020, and provided an update on recent business developments.
“Independent of the ongoing pandemic, we continue executing our operational model and business strategy to become the premier digital transformation source for mobile initiatives worldwide,” said Alan S. Knitowski, President, CEO and Co-Founder of Phunware. ”Our latest quarter closed with nearly $10 million in Backlog and Deferred Revenue for our Multiscreen-as-a-Service (MaaS) platform, while most of our corporate customers remained in either a lockdown or remote, work-from-home operational status. While we do not expect our customers or partners to be back to normal operations until a COVID-19 vaccine becomes widely available, we are already seeing much more business activity with each passing week and month and believe that there is a lot of pent up demand tied to pending MaaS bookings that will be released throughout the balance of the year.”
Notably, the Company expects an acceleration of Net Revenues total for both the coming quarter and the balance of the year sequentially, and also believes that the most recent quarter represents a quarterly, annual and historic bottom for its revenue recognition as a public company.
Second Quarter 2020 Summary Financial Highlights
- Net Revenues for the quarter totaled $2.2 million
- Platform Subscriptions and Services Revenues were $2.0 million
- Gross Margin was 65.3%
- Net Loss was ($3.5) million
- Net Loss per Share was ($0.08)
- Non-GAAP Adjusted EBITDA Loss was ($1.8) million
“As we manage through the uncertainty of the ongoing pandemic, we are encouraged that we have been able to position ourselves for success in the future by strengthening our balance sheet and lowering our operational expenses,” said Matt Aune, CFO of Phunware. “In addition to our efforts reducing operational expense, we are pleased to see an improvement of nearly 1,500 basis points to year-over-year gross margin as we continue to focus on our higher margin longer term software customers.”
Recent Business Highlights and Announcements
- Notable Strategic Announcements:
- Notable Customer Wins:
- Launched Next Generation Mobile Healthcare Solution at Parkview Health
- Launched Mobile Hospitality Solution at Atlantis Paradise Island The Bahamas
- Announced Strategic Relationship with American Made Media Consultants for the Trump-Pence 2020 Reelection Campaign’s Mobile Application Portfolio
- Announced Location Based Services Deployment at Baptist Health South Florida Through Presidio Channel Relationship
- Deployed Smart City Mobile Solution for City of Pasadena to Improve Citizen Engagement and Emergency Management
- Notable Partner Announcements:
- Announced Cisco Meraki Added Phunware COVID-19 Mobile Solutions to Meraki Marketplace
- Added HID Mobile Access Integration for MaaS Platform Deployments
- Announced Partnership Agreement with SALTO to Provide Customers a Comprehensive Mobile Experience
- Partnered with Sirius to Transform Medical Care through Mobile Experiences
- Announced Joint Venture with AnyPlace MD to Provide an End-to-End, Tech-Enabled Solution to COVID-19
- Announced Co-Sell Partnership with Tech Data to Provide its Channel Partners and Customers Mobile Solutions for Digital Transformation
- Notable Product Updates:
- Executed Agreement with Humm Systems to Improve User Feedback and Real-Time Intervention on Mobile
- Launched RAPID – A Mobile Application Solution for Small and Midsize Businesses
- Received TRUSTe Data Collection Certification from TrustArc
- Tech-Enabled a Safer Return to Higher Education Institutions with Smart Campus Solution
- Announced Issuance of United States Patent Covering Enterprise Branded Application Frameworks for Mobile and Other Environments
- Enabled Safer Gatherings with New “Healthy Spaces” Mobile App
A transcript will be made available today at 1:30pm Pacific / 3:30pm Central / 4:30pm Eastern discussing the Company’s financial results, product announcements and business highlights. The transcript will be accessible on the Phunware Investor Relations website at investors.phunware.com.
Safe Harbor Clause and Forward-Looking Statements
This press release includes forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this press release, including statements regarding our future results of operations and financial position, business strategy and plans, and our objectives for future operations, are forward-looking statements. The words “anticipate,” “believe,” “continue,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “expose,” “intend,” “may,” “might,” “opportunity,” “plan,” “possible,” “potential,” “predict,” “project,” “should,” “will,” “would” and similar expressions that convey uncertainty of future events or outcomes are intended to identify forward-looking statements, but the absence of these words does not mean that a statement is not forward-looking.
The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are based on our current expectations and beliefs concerning future developments and their potential effects on us. Future developments affecting us may not be those that we have anticipated. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks, uncertainties (some of which are beyond our control) and other assumptions that may cause actual results or performance to be materially different from those expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, those factors described under the heading “Risk Factors” in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including our reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and other filings that we make with the SEC from time to time. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should any of our assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary in material respects from those projected in these forward-looking statements. We undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as may be required under applicable securities laws. These risks and others described under “Risk Factors” in our SEC filings may not be exhaustive.
By their nature, forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that may or may not occur in the future. We caution you that forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and that our actual results of operations, financial condition and liquidity, and developments in the industry in which we operate may differ materially from those made in or suggested by the forward-looking statements contained in this press release. In addition, even if our results or operations, financial condition and liquidity, and developments in the industry in which we operate are consistent with the forward-looking statements contained in this press release, those results or developments may not be indicative of results or developments in subsequent periods.
Phunware uses and intends to continue to use its Investor Relations website as a means of disclosing material nonpublic information and for complying with its disclosure obligations under Regulation FD. Accordingly, investors should monitor the Company’s Investor Relations website, in addition to following the Company’s press releases, SEC filings, public conference calls, presentations and webcasts.
About Phunware, Inc.
Everything You Need to Succeed on Mobile — Transforming Digital Human Experience
Phunware, Inc. (NASDAQ: PHUN), is the pioneer of Multiscreen as a Service (MaaS), an award-winning, fully integrated enterprise cloud platform for mobile that provides companies the products, solutions, data and services necessary to engage, manage and monetize their mobile application portfolios and audiences globally at scale. Phunware’s Software Development Kits (SDKs) include location-based services, mobile engagement, content management, messaging, advertising, loyalty (PhunCoin & Phun) and analytics, as well as a mobile application framework of pre-integrated iOS and Android software modules for building in-house or channel-based mobile application and vertical solutions. Phunware helps the world’s most respected brands create category-defining mobile experiences, with more than one billion active devices touching its platform each month. For more information about how Phunware is transforming the way consumers and brands interact with mobile in the virtual and physical worlds, visit www.phunware.com, www.phuncoin.com, www.phuntoken.com, and follow @phunware, @phuncoin and @phuntoken on all social media platforms.