Marketing has always been about sending the right message to the right person, at the right place and time. The digital world opened up new possibilities that marketers have been quick to pounce on—such as targeting customers based on where they are online, and personalizing through browsing context as well as back-end business intelligence.
With marketing automation (MA), your brand can take targeting and personalization to a whole new level, leveraging consumer behavior and smartphone capabilities out in the real world.
What sorts of goals can you achieve with location-based marketing?
- Driving new and repeat foot traffic
- Increasing brand awareness
- Boosting the value of your mobile app
- Encouraging loyalty program sign-up
- Pushing sales with coupons and promotions
- Promoting an event, such as a store celebration, charity event or a sponsored community event such as a 5K or carnival
- Enhancing the customer experience and relationship
Want to deliver an amazing connected mobile experience? Check out this on-demand webinar: Mobile at the Intersection of Hardware and Software to learn how to engage with users where and when it matters most.
How does marketing automation work?
Essentially, you build a strategic message plan around specific information about where your mobile app users are and what they are doing. By taking advantage of built-in technologies on the user’s smartphone—as well as intelligent analytics—you can understand your users better and reach them more effectively.
- Location-aware technologies such as geo-fencing, beacons and GPS can tell you where your mobile app users are—whether that’s your store, your competitors or anywhere that might be relevant to your brand
- Push notifications send relevant messages right to the lock screen on the app user’s phone
- Analytics provide a wealth of data about customer behavior, such as:
- When they visit a specific location (your store, the competition, etc.)
- How long they stay
- Where they go before and after
- How frequently they visit and at what intervals
By combining location insights with your back-end customer information systems, you unlock a deeper understanding of your customer than ever before. You can use this understanding to personalize very specifically—you can even target just a single person with a highly specific message. This gives your marketing much more relevance and a stronger chance to succeed.
More and more consumers are demanding a personalized experience—online, in-store, and on mobile. “Consumers want more than just an experience—we want a personal connection that identifies with who we are, our interests, expectations and abilities.” (CMSWire) Marketing automation can help make your app super-important to your users, even as it makes their shopping experience more pleasurable and useful. And all of that helps increase customer loyalty and sales.
Want to a more in-depth look at marketing automation and insights on how different industries are using it? Download Mobile Marketing Automation: Why It Matters and How to Get Started.
[…] Data collection […]